Sunday, December 23, 2007

Lori's Choice Part 18


Not for younger readers. The subject of Lori’s Choice should be reviewed by parents before minors read it.

A few weeks later Caleb was with Lori, shopping for furniture. She insisted she would love to sew all they needed in the line of curtains and cushions and tablecloths. Quilts would undoubtedly be provided by dear old friends and relatives. He smiled admiringly at her enthusiasm. “I have a blue pillow that would match this chair, and we could put a bench against the east wall,” she carried on.

“Don’t go overboard. I don’t have a million dollars,” he reminded her.

“I’d be happy with a select few things. Like tons of chairs and a bed and…” she giggled, “Oh.”

Caleb shook his head and kept walking. “Lori?”

She breathed deep of contentment. The happiness had mellowed out to a tolerable level in the three weeks since he proposed. “Yes?”

“When do you want to get married?”

Lori smiled a bit, “I’ve been thinking about that. I think it would be weird to have my wedding night while I was pregnant.”

Caleb nodded thoughtfully. “I thought of that. But I want to be there for you when you’re in labor and stuff. I don’t want you to have to do that alone.”

“I never planned on doing it alone, before I got pregnant. But I’ll make it.”

“So what timing were you thinking? I don’t want to wait too long,” he added quickly.

“I don’t want to leave the baby too soon, if we’re going to take a honeymoon. And if we’re not, that’s ok. I’d be just fine with that. But if you wanted to, I want it to work for us. So maybe a month or so after the baby is born? Like June or July?”

Caleb promised to think about it. They kept a list of furniture they were considering, and they parted until another day.

It soon became evident to their whole Bible Study on Friday nights that something serious was going on between Caleb and Lori. Lori of course had told her small group friends as well as Marybelle, and invited them to be bridesmaids, too. Caleb told a few close friends. But after a month of engagement, Caleb made the announcement to their group that he was going to marry Lori that summer.

Pastor Greg was thrilled to hear the news, but not surprised at all. He immediately prayed a prayer of thanks.

To God be all glory.

No comments: